Tuesday 21 January 2014

Internet connecting and a new gadget

Trying to find a signal to get an internet I took my Nexus tablet near to the reception and saw a hotspot for Peter Smith. As everyone else here has a name like Freddy French I figured it must be Peter & Mary,whom I knew were heading here. I put on my Wi-Fi analyser App and followed the strengthening signal to their van, well I assumed at it was their van as it had GB plates. As it was late they were all closed up for the night. In the morning their van had gone, luckily the empty pitch still had their chairs & mats left behind so I knew they had gone out for the day and we met up later in the day.
I took along some of the Essaouria buns in Gill's memory. Peter & Mary like their gadgets and I found the answer to my internet problems, a TP-Link Portable 3g wireless router. With this I could connect my laptop, tablet & phone through my own personal router, all at once if want to! Being in Morocco at the front of the campsite there are various tradesmen, Solar panels, re-sprays & repairs, satellite dishes, windscreen covers, outdoor carpets and anything a motorhome may need. Within a couple of hours the wi-fi man was at my pitch setting me up with my own portable router and at last I could get back in contact & even share my connection with others if I want to.
I have been testing my solar panel to see how long it will keep my leisure batteries powered without having to connect to the the electric supply and without driving which will recharge them. After 6 nights everything was functioning, despite the poor, wet & overcast weather, so I was very pleased and with sunnier days forecast I should be able to stay off grid for plenty of days when I want to.

Steve & Jan decided to head off back North slowly exploring places on their way. They were very glad to have me show them the ropes and I was glad of their company for the first few days and also giving me a look back to how it feels and and the new experiences and encounters that happen when you go somewhere new and a bit different. After 4 days of following the back of my van I am sure they will enjoy seeing a different view but they will have to spot the endless Police checkpoints and the dodgy road surfaces without my braking warnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment