Thursday 2 January 2014

A Happier New Year



Well Christmas & New Year have passed and I have been waiting for some rain to force me indoors and update the blog. It was very good having a visitor to share the Christmas week with, though neither of us particularly like it, so we could be miseries together. It's just nice to have someone you know to interact with through the day and to share some experiences. It's also better than going out and eating on ones own. We got adventurous one day and caught a train to Lagos, West along the coast. It wasn't much of a train ride,almost 2 hours each way with constant stops and little nice scenery. Lagos was a pleasant town with a beach and cliffs and real sea but 5 hours there were plenty enough.


Another much more successful trip was on a short ferry trip to one of the sand islands Armona on a beautiful calm sunny day. There are no roads there, just an area of holiday bungalows and a few restaurants. From there its just long stretches of unspoilt sandy beaches as it's all part of the coastal nature reserve. It would be a wonderful place for a relaxing hideaway, but only a 30 minute ferry trip back to Olhao.
After I dropped Lynne off at the airport I drove to get a coffee at Faro beach which is just behind the runway. I saw the most strange sight, a man with a motorhome was parked next to the airport perimeter fence and was outside playing a full drum kit! I guess he wouldn't upset anyone with the noise. I wish I had been cheeky enough to take a photo. It kept puzzling me all night, so next day I cycled back there but he was gone, but I did find a good track to cycle all around the perimeter fence back almost to Faro and clocked up 28 miles.
New Years eve there was a meal and dancing in the campsite bar, I wandered down and joined up with some company sat outside under the canopy which was just as well as we had some heavy downpours. There were fireworks going off and I stayed to see in the New Year and even got kissed by a French woman (though she was going around kissing everyone)

New Years day was very quiet, all shops shut and very few CafĂ©’s open, luckily I still had some bread left.

No comments:

Post a Comment