Tuesday 17 December 2013

I couldn't face the thought of another long dark winter at home by myself, even being somewhere alone but a bit sunny would be better so once I had sorted all the legal matters I plan to head off to Portugal and then Morocco until Easter.
Firstly, and quite unexpectedly a new van. I quickly came to the conclusion only having a double rock n roll bed and a porta potti would be difficult if I wanted to have visitors on my travels. As my van is going to be my only transport I didn't want anything longer than the old VWT5 and eventually came down to Possl/Globecar from Germany but based on a Fiat vehicle. This has the advantage of a transverse fixed double bed with lots of storage underneath, the option to make up a 3rd bed in the front and has a separate enclosed bathroom area making it much easier to share. Very hard to find any used ones in the UK, some dealers had new White models in stock otherwise it was down to ordering and hoping it would arrive before winter finishes. Luckily I found a used 4 month old model with 6500 miles but with many extras which I would never have ordered (but no oven) I love the colour and many people stop and admire it and all the extras will get a good testing. 


I added cruise control though as I know it will be beneficial for the long runs through France & Spain. A solar panel was another must having had so much useful input from the old one and the freedom from to stay almost anywhere and still have the power to run everything (and keep everyone’s phone charged at festivals)
I didn't really get enough nights away to test and sort everything and it was often too cold to do certain jobs which have been put off until I get to Portugal.
So here I am alone and on the way in early December and finding out about the advantages of Gas and Electric blown air heating, a well insulated van, automatic & cruise control, hot water, a shower, re-fillable gas system and so much more else in such a compact van. Lets see how it holds up to Moroccan roads!
The first two days driving through France I found very quiet as I didn't have Gills rantings about everyone and everything that she would always do when we set off driving anywhere, at least until she fell asleep! Being on the road I didn't speak to anyone for two days apart from pleasantries in shops and petrol stations. The heating was well tested as it was down to 0C at night but I stayed very warm and then found I had hot water ready in the morning. I parked at free overnight Camping Car Aires at places we had stayed at before and which felt secure enough and there were other vans stopping overnight as well.
I had read about Oradour sur Glane and as it was a convenient place to stop I stayed the night at the Aire and I was the only visitor to the village early the following morning. Here's the Wikipedia description.The original population was destroyed on 10 June 1944, when 642 of its inhabitants, including women and children, were massacred by a German Waffen-SS company. A new village was built after the war on a nearby site but on the orders of the then French presidentCharles de Gaulle, the original has been maintained as a permanent memorial and museum.




It had just started to rain as I walked into the empty village and the poor light and the complete absence of anyone else made it a very sombre and moving experience. Luckily I left just as a party of school children arrived, I hope they learnt something from the experience.

I then stayed two nights at Kevan and Barbaras house, a welcome break from driving and we shared some memories (and Fizzy wine & buns) of our times with Gill in Morocco. The mud+snow tyres had their first test parking on wet grass a soft clay ground and failed, I had to use my grip mats under one front tyre which had completely filled up with mud was was now effectively bald and spinning. They now have two trenches ready for planting next years potatoes!

1 comment:

  1. New van looks great, we loved our Adria Twin and found it perfect for touring Europe. Maybe we'll see you on the road in Morocco if we ever get away! :-)

    ReplyDelete